Tennessee First Lady Andrea Conte says she’s confident that a controversial addition to the Governor’s mansion should be built, despite concerns from neighbors who live near the residence.
At issue is the size of Conservation Hall – a 15-thousand square foot underground addition that will be used as a meeting space for up to 160 dinner guests. Conte says now, the residence can only entertain a maximum of 22.
Some neighbors in the upscale Oak Hill community have complained about the traffic and noise pollution that will accompany the underground construction. Conte says the neighbors concerns hit her hard.
“It just caused me to go back and start looking at decisions that were made, but it comes back to two fundamental things. You know one is the need. There is a need for meeting space here, and secondly is the form that it is taking, which is underground is absolutely the right thing to do here.”
Under original plans, the mansion’s renovation cost $9.5 million dollars. But with the rising costs of construction materials and the addition of the underground meeting space – the price tag is now more than $19 million. About $8 million of that is being paid with private funds.
Last month, Oak Hill’s planning commission turned down the plans for Conservation Hall; however, a letter from the state attorney general says the commission can not stop the construction, which could begin as early as this month.
The State Building Commission takes a look at the plans Thursday.