“Thanks for all the memories.” That’s the recorded message that greets callers to the Nashville Superspeedway. The Wilson County racetrack is shutting down, according to an announcement from Dover Motorsports Wednesday.
“As of August 3rd, 2011, Nashville Superspeedway has discontinued its NASCAR racing operations.”
The anonymous voice goes on to explain the handful of events scheduled for the track this year will go on as planned.
In a statement, track general manager Cliff Hawks thanks the fans but says the inability to attract a NASCAR Sprint Cup race is a big reason why – quote – “we simply cannot continue.”
Dover Motorsports closed another track near St. Louis last year. CEO Denis McGlynn says the 25,000-seat Nashville Superspeedway may ultimately be sold. It was built with nearly $26 million in bonds issued by the Sports Authority of Wilson County. A company statement says bond payments will continue to be made.