
First responders in flood-ravaged Waverly are confronting pile after pile of debris Monday as part of intensive and hands-on recovery efforts.
State officials confirm as many as 22 fatalities, with 18 people still unaccounted for. Families trying to connect with missing loved ones are still being asked to rendezvous at McEwen High School, and officials are asking that people who have been listed online as missing — but who are OK — take the step of calling Waverly police to check in.
Meanwhile, the town of Waverly remains a wreck from the record flash flooding that tore through Humphreys County over the weekend. Residents were pitching in and getting help from volunteers who started to arrive in bigger numbers on Monday. They carried furniture and ripped carpets from homes.
State officials estimate about 2,500 customers in Humphreys County and 200 in Hickman County were still without power Monday afternoon. But electricity had been fully restored in Houston and Dickson counties.
Cell phone service had also returned for many residents after AT&T and Verizon set up mobile stations. Debris had been cleared from many roadways.
Still, Waverly’s head of emergency services asked onlookers to stay home and out the way of recovery crews.
“We would ask that people stay in [and] not come around just to watch,” said Chief Grant Gillespie. “It’s hampering our efforts to get people moved around town to respond to different areas.”

The flooding in Waverly left a trail of debris and damage in its wake.
State and federal emergency management agencies on Monday began estimating the damage in areas impacted by the flooding.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has asked Biden for an expedited major disaster declaration for the state’s four flooded counties. Assessors will be sweeping through Dickson, Hickman, Houston and Humphreys counties to determine if Tennessee will qualify for federal recovery assistance. President Joe Biden pledged his support for the rebuilding effort.
Though there is no count of how many homes and businesses were flooded or swept away, local officials believe that it’ll cost millions to repair damaged infrastructure in Waverly alone.
Humphreys County has called off school for the entire week. Several schools were flooded, along with as many as 50 school buses.
Some still unaccounted for
Meanwhile, multiple counties have been assisting in the search for the missing. Sgt. Mark Woodfin with the Metro Nashville Police Department says probing into the debris of Trace Creek will still take much more work.
One person they’re looking for is a 15-year-old girl last seen on a boat.
“We’re hoping to bring any type of closure for the family,” Woodfin said. “It’s a very tragic event. Pictures don’t do it justice down here. It’s just devastation. Bad.”
Waverly officials say the best way to lend a hand is to call the city’s volunteer hotlines for an assignment.

Two cars were swept away and collided with a house during the deadly floods.
Separately, state officials say residents can help flood victims by sending money through groups like the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee, which has reactivated its emergency response fund. Items are also being collected at the Army National Guard Center or the Humphreys County Nursing Home.
But state officials are also warning anyone donating to flood relief efforts to be wary of scams. Before giving to any nonprofit, Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett advises donors to check online with his office to see if the charity is registered. Also, for paid fundraisers, people should ask how much of the collected funds make it to the nonprofit organization.
The Secretary of State’s office is also where to make reports of potential storm-related scams.
WPLN’s Damon Mitchell, Blaise Gainey and Blake Farmer contributed to this report.